Wednesday, 4 January 2012

One night in Paris

A typical Monday morning a couple of weeks ago I was sitting at my desk, pretending to do work whilst scouring the Dailymail online for my latest celebrity gossip fix, I got a phone call from a PR. Expecting to have my ear bent about some new product that claims to be the best thing since sliced bread, I had to stifle a little scream when she asked if I’d like to go to Paris for the night to stay in some swanky hotel. Obviously it was a tough decision, deciding whether to spend two days staring at my screen or flouncing around gay Pari, but I tried my upmost to act cool when I accepted her offer.

On the Thursday I set off for London and headed for the Eurostar. After being greeted at the terminal by hundreds of over-excited kids, I was relieved when the call for Disneyland Paris was announced and I could continue my portrayal of a novice business traveller. Once onboard and after fighting with the crowds, I finally found my seat and prepared to embrace every minute of my trip.

Arriving into Gare de Nord station, I found a small French man clutching a placard with my name as my eyes scanned the rest of the station. We waited for the other two journalists – both from The Sun who grilled me about my job during the majority of the taxi ride – and got to the hotel. The purpose of the trip was to take a tour of the ‘room of the future’ a makeshift room full of the latest gadgets and gizmos, but after a quick whizz-round I was eager to get out and explore. 




Wondering round Paris on my own was definitely surreal, and it wasn’t quite as romantic being alone but it was a fantastic experience and even in that short time I managed to visit the main sites.



I didn’t sample any traditional French cuisine though, when it came to dinner I was absolutely ravenous so I opted for a classy kebab and chips instead. 




1 comment: