Monday, 23 January 2012

Weekend celebrations

So the beginning of January marks one big thing for the Monk family. No, it’s not the start of a new fad diet, or my dad’s excitement at taking down the Christmas decorations; it’s my Grandma’s 90th birthday. The last surviving grandparent and looking like she’s got a few more years left in her yet, visiting her is always a treat. 


Even though she hasn’t got a Scooby-doo what’s going on and really doesn’t know who we are anymore, one thing remains, her sense of humour. Whether it’s telling my dad a thousand times not to spill his tea, or calling me Pearl and telling me I have a flabby arm, she doesn’t beat about the bush and is an absolute hoot. 


What she lacks in mind, she more than makes up for in body and health. She loves to have a chuckle, and still tries her luck with various men that frequent the home she lives in.
The fun trick of the day was her showing us how she could pop her teeth out, which was met by raucous laughter from the room. Opening cards and presents was slightly laborious and explaining to her who they were from went in one ear and out the other without stopping in the middle to register, but I always cherish spending time with her. So even though it was a birthday party with no alcohol (a foreign concept to me) we had a lovely time.


To top off my weekend, I went to Emilys for the evening, where after dragging our heels round Asda for sometime we decided to cook Katsu curry, followed by a new chocolately treat from Suzi. After stuffing our faces, we decided to bless the neighbours and belt out a few classic tunes on the karaoke machine.

Sunday, we were treated to breakfast at Suzi’s, followed by a stroll down the seafront getting battered by the wind and a visit to see baby Freddie. Perfecto!

No comments:

Post a Comment