Sunday, 22 April 2012

The wedding of the year

Forget the London marathon, forget the Diamond Jubilee and don’t even mention the Olympics; this year the event that trumped them all was the Dickson/Posselwhite wedding. Ever since Tom’s mum and her partner announced that they were to become man and wife after 6 blissful years together, my brain went into overdrive to plan the perfect outfit. After a few desperate trips to the dire selection of shops in Bedford and a mooch round Brighton, I finally decided on a pink dress from Miss Selfridge teamed with an h&m beige blazer and trusty shoes from good old Tesco.

So the four-day wedding bonanza started on Thursday 12th April in Oxford. A mad dash at the hotel before the ceremony and my role as wedding guest extended to cake decorator and make-up artist, I had just 20 minutes to slip into my dress and style my hair into an acceptable do.

Once everyone had assembled at Oxford Town Hall and air-kisses and handshakes had been exchanged, we all took our seats and eagerly awaited the arrival of the bride. The intimate ceremony went off without a hitch and then it was back to the hotel to toast the new 
couple.

The rest of the evening was brilliant; yummy food, bad dancing and raucous laughter, not to mention the speeches. This was Tom’s time to shine and he didn’t disappoint. A little wobbly after a few whiskies (don’t ask) he had the whole room giggling and ‘ahhhing’ at his anecdotes and kind words and I couldn’t stop beaming at him from across the room; I was a very proud girlfriend. 


(Please excuse my non-stop giggling at Tom's speech. Pretty sure by this time the drink had started to go to my head and he could've said anything and I would have been wetting my knickers!) 



It was a fabulous day and when I finally rolled into bed with throbbing feet and a dizzy head after a few too many chardonnays, I just had enough strength to peel back the sheets and crawl inside.
 

The next day was a struggle to say the least and even a fry up at the hotel didn’t help my cause. I could barely stomach my poached egg and sausages and the epic hangover didn’t ease off until an afternoon nap and a homemade Nandos back in Northampton.

Saturday was round two and before the festivities began I challenged the ever-competitive Tom to a friendly game of badminton to which he informed me that he wouldn’t go easy on me and would play to his full ability. Well I rose to the challenge and won two games to equal Tom’s score, even if I was a sweaty mess at the end of it all.

The evening reception was being held at the Hilton hotel in Northampton and everyone was raring to get into the party spirit one more time. With memories of my Friday hangover still lingering, I promised myself not to go too heavy on the liquor. Unfortunately Tom decided to take things to the other end of the spectrum and probably drunk enough for the both of us by the end of the evening. Again it was a brilliant night; reminiscing about the big day, seeing old chums and celebrating the coming together of two families.

No comments:

Post a Comment