Monday, 14 May 2012

I want to be a book worm...

Last week I was struck down with some horrendous stomach/sick bug (I'll spare you the gory details) and was confined to my bed for a few days with just Philip and Holly for company. It was during this time and in-between my dashes to the toilet, that, apart from the fact that daytime television is hugely boring, I haven't read a book in a long time. I usually immerse myself in the pages of a romantic novel on holiday while basking in the sun, but it suddenly occurred to me that as soon as I touch down on British soil, reading a book gets pushed to the back of my mind.

The last book I started to read was Caitlin Moran's How to be a Woman, which probably wasn't the best choice for company on a packed commuter train to Southampton. So far I have only managed a pathetic three chapters, but she has already mentioned her experiences with periods, pubes and masturbation, so I am almost too nervous to see what chapter four unveils.

Before this, the last time I read a book cover to cover was when Tom and I were holidaying in Madeira last year. It was One Day which I simply couldn't put down and was often caught ignoring poor Tom while completely wrapped up in the love lives of Emma and Dexter. After I had finished reading it, Tom even got involved and attempted to read it all on the plane home; he seemed to enjoy it just as much as me!

So now after deciding that I want to do more reading, and not just fashion magazines, blogs and the MailOnline, but actually get stuck into a book. I have seen a lot of people mention The Help, or read about You Don't Have to Say You Love Me over at Charlotte's Web which sounds right up my street. I usually stick to rom-com, typical girl-meets-boy stories to satisfy my inner book worm, and want to find a new one to read, any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I am a big reader of quick and easy rom-com reads. I also love the memoirs written by Jen Lancaster! She is from Chicago and is hilarious!

    http://jleesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the mention! :D

    That book really is awesome xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just finished How to be a Woman and I loved it! I have done a little review over at my blog. I could not stop laughing all the way through. It does get more serious later on, if that is more your thing? xxx

    ReplyDelete