Friday, 29 June 2012

Film review: The Five Year Engagement


Generally I’m pretty reluctant to go to watch a film with Tom. I’d much prefer to spend my pennies scoffing my face with yummy food while bending his ear about what happened in the Kardashians last night, let alone brave a rom-com sitting next to the bloke with the loudest laugh at the back of a cinema. And oh my how Tom loves to laugh. Loud. At anything remotely funny. But one Sunday morning we were faced with no other options thanks to the disgustingly dull weather, so decided to go and see The Five-Year Engagement.

As rom-coms go, it was your typical girl meets boy, they fall in love, break up and then realise they can’t live without each other and get back together and live happily ever after. But the route it took wasn’t quite as predictable. I don’t want to give the whole story away (just in case you do want to fork out £8 for a ticket) but I will give you a few ideas.

Beginning where most romantic comedies end, the new film from director Nicholas Stoller and producer Judd Apatow who were behind genius films Knocked Up, and The 40-Year-Old Virgin looks at what happens when an engaged couple, Jason Segel and Emily Blunt, keeps getting tripped up on the long walk down the aisle. It deals with modern issues in an enlightening and honest way but I often failed to feel much sizzling chemistry between the two main characters. Emily plays an aspiring academic whose success not only postpones her marriage to Jason’s chef character but also results in his upheaval from his progressing cooking career and eventually his spiralling mental state. The couple goes through recognisable relationship ups and downs, before a couple of affairs and horrid break up makes them realise they were meant to be.

I’d recommend it if you are a big fan of Jason Segel, and by that I mean have seen all of his films and watch How I Met Your Mother on a daily basis, but if not I’d say wait until it comes out on DVD and spend your money on a large glass of wine in the sun.

1 comment: